Activated Charcoal for Emergencies
Activated charcoal is a popular natural remedy for treating various health issues in dogs. It is a form of carbon that has been treated with oxygen to make it highly porous and able to absorb toxins and chemicals. Here are some of the benefits of using activated charcoal for dogs:
1. Helps with digestive issues: Activated charcoal can help to absorb toxins and chemicals in the digestive tract, which can reduce symptoms of diarrhea, vomiting, and gas.
2. Detoxifies the body: Activated charcoal can help to remove toxins and chemicals from the body, which can improve overall health and reduce the risk of illness.
3. Reduces bad breath: Activated charcoal can help to absorb bacteria and toxins in the mouth, which can reduce bad breath in dogs.
4. Helps with skin issues: Activated charcoal can be used topically to help absorb toxins and bacteria on the skin, which can reduce itching, inflammation, and other skin issues.
5. Can be used in emergency situations: Activated charcoal can be used in emergency situations to help absorb toxins and chemicals that a dog may have ingested, such as poisonous plants or chemicals.
It is important to note that activated charcoal should only be used under the guidance of a veterinarian, as it can interfere with the absorption of certain medications and nutrients. It should also be used with caution in dogs with certain health conditions, such as liver or kidney disease.
Activated charcoal for dogs is available in various forms, including capsules, powder, and treats. It is important to follow the recommended dosage instructions and to monitor your dog for any adverse reactions.
Dosage: 0.5 – 1.5 grams per pound of body weight (0.5 – 1.5 gm/lb); therefore a 5 lb dog would need 2.5 to 7.5 grams of activated charcoal. A 10 lb dog would need 5 – 15 grams. A 100 lb dog would need 50 to 150 grams.
Or keep this on hand for emergencies. Call the hotline and let the vet on the line know you have it.